No visitor attraction operator can afford to stand still and Markerstudy Leisure is constantly looking to improve what it offers at Bewl Water Country Park.
Since January, the focus has been on putting Bewl Water back on the map, getting to know regular users, visitors and residents, and developing what we believe are exciting plans for the future of the Country Park.
Bewl is a wonder of the Weald set within an AONB, which offers a diversity of activities that is hard to find in one place elsewhere in the South East. It presents an opportunity to support and sustain the local economy.
In less than 12 months we have successfully:
- Developed the Boathouse Bistro – a new destination restaurant
- Improved facilities for water users and fishermen at the Boathouse
- Upgraded and refurbished the Visitor Centre & Waterside Cafe
- Completed phase 1 of upgrading the 12.5 mile path around Bewl Water and are committed to keeping it open 365 days a year
- Reduced parking from £8 to £2 to improve accessibility to all
- Undertaken an extensive woodland management programme
- Restocked Bewl Water with 40,000 trout
- Purchased a fleet of 24 new fishing boats
- Invested in Bewl Belle – a new 70 seater cruiser
- Created a water taxi service to improve access and a different view of Bewl Water
In addition to the Earth Lodges, we would like to continue to invest in new outdoor and sporting activities for our current and future customers, including a possible new watersports centre and further outdoor pursuits that complement the activities already on offer.
Who's investing at Bewl Water
The Earth Lodges are being proposed by Markerstudy Leisure, which is part of Markerstudy Group employing 4,000 people nationally, including 2,200 in Tunbridge Wells and Sevenoaks and Essex, through its portfolio of insurance companies and brands.
In addition to Bewl Water Country Park, Markerstudy Leisure has successfully developed a series of businesses, including:
- Salomons Estate, the hotel, conferencing and events venue in Southborough
- One Warwick Park Hotel, the 39 bed hotel in Tunbridge Wells
- One Media, the integrated media management company that publishes newspapers and consumer magazines
- Next Dimension Gymnastics Academy, the recreational gymnastics operation
- Zenith Aviation, the charter jet, management, maintenance and sales company based at Biggin Hill